Friday, August 15, 2008

My day...

Today was a day I kind of dreaded. I knew years ago when I bought my house that the one tree in the front yard was not the best looking of trees, but it was a big old maple that provided some really nice shade. Four years ago, about a year after the local electric company hacked away at the trees, the nice straight tree on the corner of the lot was lost to something called verticillium wilt. Once a maple gets it, there is no saving it. So, I was down to the one leaning tower and was unwilling to let it go. Well here I am four years later, finally giving up on it after a spring visit from the electric company again. No wilt this time, just a total butchering of the front of the tree. Every storm we've has since then has been a worry about the tree.

So today, I had Bob and his crew of The Busy B's from Darlington, PA take it down. I spent most of today outside while it was going on and while my brother collected the wood for his wood burner this winter. Below are a few pictures of the before and after. No, I did not take pictures during the removal since I was just really bummed to lose that tree.

None-the-less, Bob and his crew did a great job and I highly recommend their service should you ever need a tree pruned or removed. Call them at 724-827-2410.

This is the before...notice the lovely look of the tree around the wires and how back heavy it was!


This is the stump before it was put through the grinder.


Bob grinding away the stump little by little...


The result...tons of sunlight on the front of the house! Note: My brother has to come back for the last of the wood piled here and he also wanted the pile of leftover stump for mulch or something. Normally all of this is taken away by the Busy B's.

No comments: